Caring For Your Back
Giving Your Back the Attention it Deserves
Eight out of ten Canadians will experience back pain at one point in their lives. It’s a serious health problem that often goes untreated. One of the reasons back pain is so common is that it can be caused by so many different things.
• Work-related injuries
• Sports injuries
• Poor posture
• Car accidents
• Improper lifting
• The birth process
Any of these things can cause your spine to shift from its normal position or affect your range of motion. This puts pressure on the joints, muscles, and nerves in that area, and is what causes most back pain. A healthy back is essential for a healthy body. For some people, chiropractic treatment is like a regular tune-up for their back, to help deal with the daily wear and tear of life. For others, it’s an effective treatment when back pain strikes. Take the time to discuss with your chiropractor the level of care that’s best for you.
Back Problem Warning Signs
Even though a chiropractor has treated your back pain, there is a possibility it might recur. Here are some symptoms which might indicate that you suffer from a back problem:
• Leg pain with numbness, tingling, and/or weakness
• Back or leg pain with coughing or sneezing
• Difficulty standing up after sitting for any period of time
• Stiffness in the morning that decreases when you move around
• Pain in your hip, buttock, thigh, knee, or foot
• Inability to turn or bend to each side equally
• Unbalanced posture, when your head, neck, or shoulder may be higher on one side than the other
• Pain which prevents you from sleeping well
• Pain that persists or worsens after 48 hours
Chiropractic treats your back pain by addressing the cause of the pain. A chiropractic adjustment allows your spine to return to its proper position and improve your range of motion, letting you feel like yourself again. It’s simple, and it works.
How Often Should I See a Chiropractor?
A common question is how long chiropractic treatment should continue. Your chiropractor will discuss the need for any ongoing care with you, and it will depend on your specific back problem.For most people, the need is for immediate relief, but chiropractors provide three different levels of care.
• Relief care is provided for immediate pain and discomfort. Depending on the diagnosis, your age and physical condition, one visit, or several visits over a short period of time may be necessary.
• Corrective care treats long term spinal problems. Because these problems have existed for some time they require a longer, more complex period of care, which may include a customized exercise program.
• Supportive or maintenance care helps you maintain and enjoy the benefits you’ve achieved from relief and corrective care. Continuing to work with your chiropractor and having adjustments once in a while will keep your spine as healthy as possible.
Every individual is different, and your chiropractor will recommend a course of care that is right for you. If chiropractic care is not the best solution for your specific health problem, your chiropractor will make an appropriate referral. Because of chiropractic’s concern for your overall well-being, most treatment is accompanied by exercise, diet and other healthy living suggestions to help keep your back healthy and strong.
10 Tips for Keeping Your Back Healthy
1) Exercise regularly.
2) Follow a healthy diet.
3) Maintain good posture.
4) Stretch your spine before and after sports.
5) Don’t overload your backpack or shoulder bag.
6) Stretch your legs and back after each hour of sitting.
7) Never cradle the phone between your neck and shoulder.
8) Sleep on your back or side, not on your stomach.
9) Invest in a good chair, pillow, and mattress. It’s worth it!
10) Have regular spinal check-ups.
To make an appointment call Active Body Chiropractic Clinic at (519) 398-8598 conveniently located at 33 Princess Street (In the Princess Center, Suite 410) in Leamington. If you are a WSIB case or car accident case please inform the receptionist while making your first appointment.